Re: [iPad] OT Wired dropping of signal

 

If the router is over 6 years old I'd suspect the router

~KM
--
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

(^= I rocked this email on my iPad2 =^)

On Dec 31, 2012, at 3:34 AM, mary davidson <mary.davidson@gmail.com> wrote:

 

How can one tell? I am not sure. However, it seems that the router is being disconnected from the internet. Both the router and the modem lights seem like they are working as they should. However rebooting the router does not solve the connection issue but rebooting the modem does solve the connection issue.
Mary Davidson

On Dec 30, 2012, at 11:34 AM, petefromflorida <petefromflorida@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you being disconnected from the router or is your router being disconnected from the Internet? It could.be an ISP problem.
Pete

--- In iPad@yahoogroups.com, mary davidson <mary.davidson@...> wrote:
>
> This is at my retail store and I get drop outs on all devices. The router is an airport extreme and the single light stays on and green not amber. I have reconnected the ethernet cables multiple times. The main cable from the modem to the router goes under the floor about 20 -30 feet and I would have to hire some one to replace that cable. (I am not good in tight places.) I have experimented multiple ways but when I lose connection disconnecting the modem, waiting a minute and reconnecting will get things working again. I am tempted to switch the modem from my home. And see what happens. And then if that doesn't help I would have to buy a new airport extreme in order to get the multiple ethernet plugs and I haven't found a less expensive option. Any suggestions are welcome.
> Mary Davidson
>
>
> On Dec 29, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Tony <tdale@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Wired
>
> Dropouts happen on all devices ?
>
> Remove Ethernet cable and cable/dsl cables and reconnect
>
> What lights on router go off in a dropout?
>
> Can u borrow another router and cables to try to isolate the offender?
>
> Sent from my iPhone 5 
>
>
> On 30/12/2012, at 9:33 AM, mary davidson <mary.davidson@...> wrote:
>
>> What about losing a signal from a wired connection? I have tried all combinations I can think of to find the culprit but no luck. I am pretty sure it is not the router as it happens when I have circumventer the router. My ISP can't give me a solution. I would be glad to buy a new router or modem if that would help.
>> Mary Davidson
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Robert <BobandMary@...> wrote:
>>
>> A while back, someone was complaining about their WIFI dropping and went and purchased a new router (which probably didn't help). Usually, this problem can be easily solved by changing the WIFI channel to one that is less congested. Many people leave them set to the factory default (usually channel 6 in the US) nd that is what is causing the problem. Worse, the factory default may be set to AUTO (such as my Netgear router). If you have a dual band router, choose a channel for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. There are free WIFI Analyzers available in the app store to help you find a good channel. Ideally, you would choose one of the non-overlapping channels in the 2.4 GHz band (channel 1, 6, or 11 in the US), but if these are busy, choose a channel that isn't busy. You likely won't find a truly vacant channel, so just choose one that has the lowest signal levels of your "neighbors". It is best to actually measure this with your device in the locations you expect to use it.
>>
>> There are also a couple other parameters you can adjust which may help. Here is a link to a good article - http://www.werockyourweb.com/your-wireless-connection-dropping
>>
>> Here is a good Wikipedia article on available channels. Make sure you look at the column for the country you are in. Also, make sure your router is set up for your country/region! If you purchased your router in another country, it is likely set up for that country.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
>>
>> Last, make sure that your wireless device (or wifi card in your laptop) is not under a power management setting that will let it go offline after a set time period.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bob
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (25)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___