Re: [iPad] OT- pet food

 

Here's the link to the Natura website. They make California Natural http://www.naturapet.com/

\
  \ /\
  (  )       White Rabbit 32
.(    ). Sent from my iPhone 5

On Dec 29, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:

 

I don't feed raw. I feed California Natural. I have been feeding that for quite a few years.

Is that a brand (I'm 3000 miles from California).
Is it made by a "familiar" large company?
Is it made in the USA?
What can you tell me about it (composition, preservatives, etc.?

I've found that feeding a good diet as free of corn as one can, dogs bodies use more of the food they take in. Less of it comes out in the end. 

Dogs didn't evolve to eat grain (corn, wheat, or any other). That said, most can do quite well on high-quality feeds that include a significant fraction of grain(s). We use products that are milled 90 miles west of us in Maryland, from animals and grains grown in the USA. In the 2 main products we use, meat is the first (and therefore most plentiful) ingredient.

When dogs develop some sort of grain sensitivity, they often due well if switched to a product with an "uncommon" grain -- like the pork and barley product we use.

Our hounds (al but the elders, or the recovering sick) spend all day outside in the winter. Sometimes they start to get bulky soft stools -- because they are eating more volume of food to meet their higher caloric needs. We switch them to  higher fat-content food that has more calories for the same size serving.

I had fed Purina at one time but found California Natural and any of the Natura Pet foods are good products.

Purina USED to be much better than it is today.

One thing I found was when I switched to California Natural, my dogs feet and fur stopped smelling like Fritos. 

For a period of time 30 years ago, a friend produced and sold -- to restaurants, mostly -- "farm-fresh eggs". Every once in a while I would get a call because demand was down, the eggs had gotten old enough (although still perfectly good for eating) to be sold as "farm-fresh", and I would go pick up bucketsful -- like 5-10 dozen eggs at a time.

We would hard-boil most in a giant pot and feed them to the dogs.
BOY! did they have nice coats!

-- 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Jim Saklad                                        mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (44)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___