[iPad] Re: Facebook and iOS

 

And if you decide to use a service, read the terms and do not complain later. This is basic 101 stuff, I should think.

Cookies can be removed from your system panel. Click Safari and at the bottom you can remove this and that.

--- In iPad@yahoogroups.com, Devitt <devittad@...> wrote:
>
> I've been in advertising my whole life, too. But giving Facebook carte blanche to follow my every online move should not be hidden in pg whatever of some ridiculously long document they've constructed for the express purpose of hiding what they are up to.
>
> It is one thing for them to use the information I choose to share on Facebook. That's not the issue here. Sure. If you post it you've released it to the world. The issue is tracking and recording my web use when I am NOT on Facebook. They get enough info from users voluntarily. There is no way Facebook or any other business should be planting cookies to follow me around the web.
>
> Maybe I will just cancel my account. Can anyone tell me how I can find and remove their cookies from my iPad and other electronics? I don't think they'll automatically stop tracking me just because I cancel now.
>
> Maybe I'm being paranoid. But this is just too outlandish for me to ignore. As little as i use Facebook I don't feel I owe them my entire online life for the priviledge. And no, I don't think I need to worry about Zuckerman and company starving. They get plenty of information posted on users pages. Let them sell that. How many more millions do they need?
>
> Cathy
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> >This is the fault of the consumer. Buyer beware. Maybe I'm bias because I work in the industry of advertising. Being free doesn't mean it doesn't cost you anything. I take this to be obvious. Facebook, like the NYT before it, survives because of ads. Period. Without ads Facebook dies because it's programmers and employees like food and shelter. So let's wake up to the stark reality that there really is no such thing as a free lunch ;) and no, no one will just make one for free, they'll make one to profit off of being a less obtrusive service but it's still profit that motivates both google and Facebook. I think its up to consumers to know anything you say in a public forum like Facebook or here, is public domain and can be used against u in a us court of law, it certainly seems obvious to this young chap ;)
>
> ~KM
> --
> \,,/(^_^)\,,/
>
> (^= I rocked this email on my iPad2 =^)
> ---
>
> On Sep 28, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Devitt <devittad@...> wrote:
>
> > What I object to most is that Facebook is doing it on the sly. They're not exactly publicizing, "Oh yes. By the way. Once you sign up with us we are going to record every website you visit from this day forward and use that info any way we see fit."
> >
> > I bet only a tiny fraction of members have any idea their every move (webwise) is being tracked. There isn't a reason in the world Facebook needs to keep a record of every blinkin' website every member visits. To do it without being upfront about it is a clear case of invasion of privacy in my mind.
> >
> > What's to keep some future government agency from demanding the names of every member who ever visited some particular type of site which is on their current s&%$ list? I'm not saying this will happen, but with that kind of info stored in a nice, convenient package it's not impossible. Why make it easy and tempting? If the information is easily accessible some creep is going to want to use it for less than benign purposes. Remember McCarthy and the 50s black list? Wouldn't he have had a field day with the kind of information Facebook is storing.
> >
> > I know there is no such thing as complete privacy short of dropping out, using a new name and living completely off the grid. But just because total privacy isn't possible, that doesn't mean our entire lives should be compiled in one place for some hacker, advertiser, gov't. agency, etc. And this Facebook tracking is a big step in that direction.
> >
> > I'd like to see a simple "opt out" enforced on the web just like it is with banks and other companies who want to share customer information. Being web based shouldn't mean "anything goes."
> >
> > Cathy
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___