[iPad] Re: Numbers scrolling

 


________________________________________________________________________
Re: Numbers scrolling
Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@icloud.com jimdoc01
Date: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:57 pm ((PDT))

> This has to do with the Numbers app on the iPad (and the iPhone ... that is, the iOS version). I have a couple of spreadsheets which are basically just information databases. They do get updated occasionally, but I use them mostly only to look things up. Each is considerably larger than the screen, so I need to scroll around in them to find what I want.
>
> In the OS X version, this is very easy: just use the two-finger scroll gesture on a touch pad, or, for that matter, a single-finger scroll on a scrolling mouse such as the Apple Magic Mouse.
>
> However, I haven't found any satisfactory way to do it in the iOS version. It's easy enough to use a one-finger scroll gesture to move around, but if you're not VERY careful, the program decides you want to choose a cell and goes into update mode -- which is exactly what I don't want and can easily lead to data corruption.

I seem to manage by scrolling with one finger. Just don't let it pause on a cell. Make contact with the screen with the finger already moving, and bring it up off the screen before stopping moving.

If I inadvertently select a cell, I tap someplace off the edge of the spreadsheet to de-select it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com
________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Jim.

Yes, this is what I've been doing -- though I hadn't stumbled on to the "don't let it pause" part.  Maybe that will let me do a better job (if I can manage to be dexterous enough – ah, aged hands!).

As for moving off the edge, I do that too.  But remember, these are relatively large spreadsheets.  The edge might be ten or more pages away – with many chances to stop on another cell and wreak some more havoc. –– And then I have to do the same move backwards to get where I was – again with more chances for mistakes.

I have a hard time understanding why they might have designed it with no thought that you might not want to make updates every time.  And for that matter, that you might have to scroll a few pages to get where you want to make the changes.

I have the feeling that the two- or three-finger scroll gestures may have been intended for this.  But I haven't been able to make them work.

Again, thanks.

Stratton McAllister

__._,_.___

Posted by: McAllister <73357.3046@compuserve.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!


.

__,_._,___