Re: [iPad] cellular data use

 

We have a remote cabin in the mountains where we spend most of
our time. Verizon is our only option and while shopping for a smart
phone in the Verizon store, I also bought a Belkin cam. Now when I'm
away from the cabin, I can use their app to "see" what's going on
inside the cabin. Nifty.

What Belkin/Verizon didn't mention is that the default setting
for the cam, is for it to send email with a photo EACH time it
detects movement. I left a window with draperies cracked.

We were away from the cabin (where we have limits on Verizon
cellular) for 4 days. When we got back and looked up our usage - we
were $200 over our monthly limit, just those emails with all those
Belkin photos of a drapery moving!

Then what really made me feel dumb, is that I could have turned
off those emails being sent by the cam, remotely (thru the app) when
I was away from the cabin for those 4 days. I didn't discover that
until I got back up to the mountains.

04:25 PM 6/27/2014, david smith david.smith.14916@gmail.com [iPad] said:

>Sorry - sloppy writing. I just meant my ATT download limit is ten
>gigs. I'll probably never come close to that, but it's a nice
>comfort zone, and it doesn't cost that much extra. What it means is
>that when I'm on the road, I'm not dependent on wifi, which around
>here is unreliable and slow. In fact, in Starbucks, I turn off wifi
>- it's that bad. Sigh.

__._,_.___

Posted by: NN <news.notifications@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

.

__,_._,___