RE: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?

 

That's good to know.  My Ipad also says not charging so I assumed it wasn't.
As for mixing up proprietary cables there's a certain amount of risk in that.  I've read that the cables from some devices can damage other devices because they're wired differently even if the ends fit. I no longer remember what devices were being discussed but I've read it more than once.
I have some Avery .75" x 1.5" removable labels and I always write the device name on two of those and fold it over the wire and back against itself, making a little flag to label the cable.  I usualy put one on each end.
I also label power blocks.
I'll mix up power blocks if I'm sure they're safe but I have no way to know about the cables themselves so I'll be sure to use the right cable.
Of course for devices that use a standard cable I don't worry about it at all.

Barry

--- On Mon, 5/30/11, pat h - oh <path48@yahoo.com> wrote:
From: pat h - oh <path48@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?
Date: Monday, May 30, 2011, 7:05 PM
I only have an iTouch and iPad2, no iPhone. I use the iPad cord that is hooked into the back of my Windows 7 PC to recharge both devices. I use the cord from one of my iPods to charge any device in the bedroom. I'm not sure what device it came from, the cords all look alike. Is it wrong to do this? When I charge the iPad on the computer it says it is not charging, but it is. Slowly.
pat h - oh
--- On Tue, 5/17/11, Ken Bandy <kbandy@iatse30.org> wrote:
From: Ken Bandy <kbandy@iatse30.org>
Subject: RE: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 7:50 PM
The power supply that comes with the iPad is capable of delivering more current (2.1 A) than the iPhone power supply (1 A).  If you use the iPad power supply on the iPhone, nothing adverse will happen, the iPhone will only take as much current as it needs.  If the iPhone power supply is used on the iPad, again nothing will burn up, but the iPad will take considerably longer to charge, if it reaches full charge at all.  The cords themselves (iPad and iPhone) are identical.    Ken  From: iPad@yahoogroups.com [mailto:iPad@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Aubin
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?  
My understanding is that the cord intended for the iPad delivers a higher charge
than the one for the iPhone. I'm probably not using the right terminology. It delivers a higher voltage.   The iPad will charge on the lower voltage cords (which seem to be thinner) but it will charge much slower. So it says "not charging".   I also have charged my iPhone on the thicker iPad cord without any problems.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___