Re: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?

 

I've been syncing & charging my various devices on the same cables for
months with no problem. I sync & charge from my laptop (plugged in) using
one of the iPod cables that came with my old iPod several years ago. Works
just fine. I also use one of my 'pod charger cables plugged into a 3rd party
USB wall-charger or car charger. I plug in any of my devices at whatever
charger-station I find convenient -- though I usually use the iPad charger
for the iPad.

I also charge my iPhone using the charger for the iPad. It's not a problem.
Charging the iPad on from the laptop (plugged in) or the iPhone charger just
does it way more slowly.

Good things these parts are (except for the iPad wall wart) interchangeable
as I have six devices & really don't want to wrestle with six sets of cords,
4 or more wall warts, or worry about the car charger problem.
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 8:47 PM
To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?

That's good to know. My Ipad also says not charging so I assumed it wasn't.
As for mixing up proprietary cables there's a certain amount of risk in
that. I've read that the cables from some devices can damage other devices
because they're wired differently even if the ends fit. I no longer remember
what devices were being discussed but I've read it more than once.
I have some Avery .75" x 1.5" removable labels and I always write the device
name on two of those and fold it over the wire and back against itself,
making a little flag to label the cable. I usualy put one on each end.
I also label power blocks.
I'll mix up power blocks if I'm sure they're safe but I have no way to know
about the cables themselves so I'll be sure to use the right cable.
Of course for devices that use a standard cable I don't worry about it at
all.

Barry

--- On Mon, 5/30/11, pat h - oh <path48@yahoo.com> wrote:
From: pat h - oh <path48@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?
Date: Monday, May 30, 2011, 7:05 PM
I only have an iTouch and iPad2, no iPhone. I use the iPad cord that
is hooked into the back of my Windows 7 PC to recharge both devices. I use
the cord from one of my iPods to charge any device in the bedroom. I'm not
sure what device it came from, the cords all look alike. Is it wrong to do
this? When I charge the iPad on the computer it says it is not charging, but
it is. Slowly.
pat h - oh
--- On Tue, 5/17/11, Ken Bandy <kbandy@iatse30.org> wrote:
From: Ken Bandy <kbandy@iatse30.org>
Subject: RE: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 7:50 PM
The power supply that comes with the iPad is capable of delivering more
current (2.1 A) than the iPhone power supply (1 A). If you use the iPad
power supply on the iPhone, nothing adverse will happen, the iPhone will
only take as much current as it needs. If the iPhone power supply is used
on the iPad, again nothing will burn up, but the iPad will take considerably
longer to charge, if it reaches full charge at all. The cords themselves
(iPad and iPhone) are identical. Ken From: iPad@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:iPad@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Aubin
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] Re: What's with the "Not charging"?
My understanding is that the cord intended for the iPad delivers a higher
charge
than the one for the iPhone. I'm probably not using the right terminology.
It delivers a higher voltage. The iPad will charge on the lower voltage
cords (which seem to be thinner) but it will charge much slower. So it says
"not charging". I also have charged my iPhone on the thicker iPad cord
without any problems.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___