[iPad] tablet keyboard

 

[crosspost to iPad and Liquid Story Binder lists]

Note for those on the iPad list wondering:
Liquid Story Binder is an author's word processor,
<http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/>.

For those considering typing long texts on an iPad:

Apple offers this Bluetooth keyboard:
<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184>

I have just bought the Logitech alternative:
<http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/for-ipad/devices/tablet-keyboard-ipad>

The Logitech one includes a carrying case (for the keyboard) that
cleverly doubles as an iPad stand.
I estimate keyboard and case to weigh the same as my iPad 2 and Belkin
cover.

You can see that the keyboard layouts differ: Apple has an extra row
of keys that Logitech emulates through Fn-key shortcuts.

The Logitech may be heavier than the Apple, as it uses 4 rather than 2
batteries. (That may or may not say anything about power consumption.)
It has an on/off-switch.

Typing on it feels the same as on a notebook keyboard.

Obviously, using a Bluetooth device requires the iPad to have
Bluetooth on, resulting in extra power consumption. (If it's on, you
see the Bluetooth symbol on the status bar, top right.)

Pairing keyboard and iPad was simple: the keyboard was broadcasting,
and as soon as I had Bluetooth activited on the iPad, I was invited to
press a four-digit key to pair the two.

The Logitech website lists keyboard shortcuts (that I take to work on
both): <http://www.logitech.com/en-us/67/8694>.
Composing accented characters may slightly differ, with me anyway.
There may be several options.

I am a bit disappointed in seeing no keyboard shortcuts for Page Up
and Page Down, nor for navigating the desktop (Launchpad?).
Or do I look over something that is basicly familiar to Mac users?

The bottom line is, that I'd be less reluctant to type long texts on
my iPad.

Hope this helps some of you decide. :-)

PS: The keyboard seems not to connect to my Windows notebook. (I just
wondered and tried!)

--
Chris Laarman

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___