Re: [iPad] OT! Completely-Messy Retina

 

The Dr. who was one of the important discoverers of how to save premie babies is at my University. She just turned 90, still see her on campus regularly. She and my boss are the first 2 (and only till this year) female elected Fellows of the AAAS (a big honor) at Vanderbilt. Her name is Millie Stahlman. They named a building at Vandy after her. She is an amazing person.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 30, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Celtica Hippocrates <celtica_visitor1@me.com> wrote:

 

Too cool, huh? No kidding about that area. I'm actually pretty lucky I got off as lightly as I did, IMO. ROP was some nasty stuff back in the 50's. They used to call it RLF. Now, even newborns can be protected, or even get ocular surgery to reattach retinas, fix pressure and or lens issues etc... Amazing!


On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

 

> This is my Retina. My Optometrist was a retinologist before going general practice, so he has cool photo gear. I was not dilated for this one.
>
> The cloudiness is from my past cataract op some time back. The retina's a mess due to ROP from oxygen overexposure at premature birth/Hatching <G> You can see the 'drag' and scars in the retina.

Appropriately enough, it looks -- except for the area around the optic nerve -- like a 1960's-era photo of Mars....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___