[iPad] Re: Kingston Wi-Drive storage for iPad?

 



--- In iPad@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sealy <carpet3@...> wrote:
>
> I have one and have been using it for several months. Just think of it as a large USB [or flash drive, or SSD, thumb, or whatever name is in vogue] stick. Of course you won't get the full 16 GB, as with any device.
> Easy to use. Connect it to a USB port on your computer with the supplied cable - the other end of the cable is a micro connection into the Kingston. You need to format the Kingston - easy. Then you can copy data from your Mac to the Kingston [docs, movies, etc - there are restrictions on what type of data can be transferred]. You set up the Kingston to connect to your iPad by WiFi - the Kingston has its own WiFi. It will block any other WiFi in use at the time. Then you can just read the docs on your iPad. But you can not transfer them to the iPad - that I know of anyway. Perhaps someone else has figured that out. Once you have read the document on your iPad you can delete it from the Kingston but of course that is not really deleting it. For that you have to again connect to the Mac.
>
> Don't know what you wish to use it for but this is why I bought it and it suited the task well. First, there are many areas of Australia without access to the internet, so the alternative storage of the Cloud [as some folk may suggest to you as an alternative] is not possible. Also tethering with the telco 3G network is not practicable. Actual tethering to a telco is free in Australia but you pay through the nose for data transfer. What I needed to do was to load up all available data for a project on to my iPad and then head off to a project location [which has no internet access]. Then my partner who is to meet me on location at a later time would be able to load up the Kingston with the very latest available data [later than what I have] and we could both look at the latest data on my iPad. [Hope that is clear!]
>
> As is common with many printed instructions for these things made in China and subject to many translations, the instruction sheet was not quite accurate for the model of Kingston. But that is easily overcome. Before going any further I recommend you download the Instruction Manual, a PDF, from the Kingston website and have a look at that. I don't know how long the battery lasts because I usually connect the Kingston to one of my external backup batteries which I have for my iPad/iPhone whist using it for my iPad data.
>
> There are a few other similar backup hard drives [a misnomer really] out there specifically touted for iPad storage but for my needs of small physical size and 16 GB large enough then this is sufficient. Some of others are quite large, even have a true HDD in them and I think you can even go up to 1 TB now.
>
> HTH
>
> ...............................
>
> Peter Sealy
> Thurgoona AUSTRALIA
>
> I don't play golf. Personally, I think there's something psychologically wrong with any game in which the person who gets to hit the ball the most is the loser.
>
>
> On 28/06/2012, at 12:29 AM, neelie wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had any experience with this storage system for iPad?
> >
> > Kingston Wi-Drive 16 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - $40
> >
> > I haven't run out of space on my iPad 2, but the Kingston seems like an idea to consider should that happen in the future. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new iPad - for now anyway.
> >
> > I understand how cabled storage devices work....I have several I use with my iMacs and my MacBook Pro. I've never used a wi-fi storage disk.
> >
> > From Amazon.com:
> >
> > "With integrated Wi-Fi and four hours of battery life, Kingston's new Wi-Drive offers pocket-sized portable storage and easy file sharing for Apple devices, including iPod touch Gen 3 & 4, iPhone and iPad."
> >
> > This sounds good....am I missing anything?
> >
> > Thanks

Thank you Peter! To tell you the truth I wasn't sure what I might do with the Kingston device. I'm always looking for cool and helpful gadgets for my iPad, and thought maybe this might be something to have around in case I needed to "back up" anything, or save stuff that I no longer had room for on my iPad.

I have a 32GB iPad 2, and so far it still has lots of space. But my sense is that as time goes by I might want to add more things like books, games, pictures. I don't really do "serious" things with my iPad and really don't use many "apps."

But perhaps by the time my 32GB iPad 2 gets full, it will be time to upgrade to a larger, newer iPad. :-)

Thanks for the interesting points you've made about the Kingston!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___