[iPad] iCloud without Lion

 

My MacMini is running the latest version of Snow Leopard. My iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 currently run the latest iOS 4. I want to update the 3GS and iPad 2 to iOS 5 and use iCloud to sync Mail, Notes, Calendar, Books and a few non-Apple apps between the iPhone and iPad. Is this possible without upgrading to Lion or am I asking for trouble? Is it better to forget about iCloud until I've done the Lion upgrade?

If it is possible, would I be better off setting up iCloud through settings after I've done the iOS 5 upgrade or as part of the process?

In 10 days I'll be going out of town for three weeks. I'll need my i devices to be in good working order during the trip. I'd love to install iOS 5 before I leave. But the horror stories I've read about updating make me hesitant to try. I'm not a novice, but not a pro either. For example, I still am not sure how to get my book purchases from the i devices to the computer through iTunes. The "all your books will be wiped" warning notice when setting up sync has scared me off from trying.

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Many thanks in advance,

Cathy

Sent from my iPad

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___