Re: [iPad] Re: iPad forum?/Carol/computer expert story

 

Yeah, some people are just really impressed by themselves!

Whenever I begin to think of myself as a computer "expert" I am reminded of an experience I had some years back.

I worked in an office as an admin, using MS Word, Excel, etc. I had been working with computers for about 4 or 5 years. I signed up for an adobe illustrator class at the local adult Ed school. 

 The instructor went around the class asking everyone about their computer proficiency. After listening to everyone saying what experts they were I was wondering why they even bothered to show up because I was definitely the dummy in class! So when she asks me I say beginner.

There was a high school boy who was the instructor's assistant. They gave everyone a floppy disk, 5", and told us to insert it into the disk drive to format it. I had inserted a hundred floppies without any problem at work! Bit I could not get this thing in! I was so glad I had not bragged! Lol I finally asked the little nerdy high school kid for help! He came over and said, oh yeah, some of the disk drives were installed upside down!  What?!? I asked him, well, did you ever think of re-installing them correctly? 

I just got the deer in the headlights look. 

The really funny thing was all the computer hotshots had the same issues!  But they had not asked for help!

There's a good laugh for you on a Friday night!


E in Long Beach
Sent from my iPad Mini
Be Happy!

On Aug 18, 2013, at 9:23 AM, "bj" <bjones44@verizon.net> wrote:

 

I think that the Exalted Ones who disparage newbie questions forget that
*NO ONE* (not even their Superior Selves) is born knowing any of this.
(and they can also be wrong about something!)

They also forget that you can, no matter how much you know about a device,
learn something new you hadn't even thought of doing!

I have more moxie now than I did years ago -- and hope I can keep it up to
80+ (now that I'm just shy of 70 :-)) and maybe even improve on it without
becoming *too* much of a batty old you-know-what.
bj
p.s. I still hang around some Usenet groups, which is the real Wild Wild
Wilder West of online conversations. Good practice for developing a thicker
skin, a well-oiled delete key, and having some fun while you're at it. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Corley
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:57 AM
To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [iPad] Re: iPad forum?/Carol

Maureen, when I get to be 82, I hope I have half the moxie that you do.
The trouble with Internet conversations is that it is too easy for one to be
a smart-axx and be amazed at one's brilliance :)
Often, when I feel that I am about to ask a simple question that probably
everyone but me knows the answer to, I preface it by saying so -- but that's
my way of deflecting potential comments that otherwise might point out my
stupidity lol
And other than that, if someone makes disparaging remarks about my lack of
knowledge on a subject, I pretty much figure it is the disparager who has
the problem.
So ... ask away.
Carol

Pete how nice to read someone who shows tolerance. I am one of the people
using a new iPad who would be very reluctant to ask a question again. When I
got my iPad last Christmas at age. 82
I was completely bewildered. I asked a question and was totally devastated
by one of the replies and that came from another woman. I have never asked
again. Btw Pete you were the one who truly helped and again I offer my
thanks. By now I know enough about it to do me. Maureen(Irish)

Sent from my iPad 3

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___