Re: [iPad] Can you successfully own an iPad w/o a computer?

 

I like the idea that some people have mentioned that you could go to an Apple store to have the iOS upgraded when the time comes.  (Although I haven't tried this myself.)  You can definitely buy apps without a computer, no problem.  However.  The main problem that I see with that is that you wouldn't have backups of your data.  Photos, calendars, notes, bookmarks, etc., etc.  And even at the App store, I'm not sure you want to do an update without having a backup.  In my experience, updating the iOS is a slightly vulnerable time, even when you are upgrading to a final release of an iOS.  Stuff can go wrong.


As has been mentioned, there will be an update "this fall" that will allow you to do all of that backup/upgrade stuff without needing a computer.  I have a developer's account, so I am beta testing the new iOS, and just last week I did my first iOS update using only my iPad.  I have also been able to use iCloud to backup my data without the computer.  There are still a few little glitches here and there, so I don't think they are quite ready with it, but getting close!  

I would plan to either (patiently! lol) wait until the new iOS is released before buying one, or I would verify for sure that you could take it to the Apple store to get the upgrade done when the new iOS is released.  And then hope that you don't need backups until then. Or else do the backups/upgrades on your computer.

Once iOS 5 is released, I really think the iPad will function as an extremely slick, stand-alone unit.  It will be SO much more user friendly that I think it might be worth the wait.

April

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Laura Velez <lgvelez@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

The big question would be if there is an iOS update / upgrade, can she do that through the iTunes app store on her iPad? I think that's a great idea!


LauraV in TX


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___