Re: [iPad] Can you successfully own an iPad w/o a computer?

 

Does Ethernet work just not wifi? To get iTunes library to load?

~KM
\,,/(^_^)\,,/
(: Rocked from my iPhone4 :)

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:58 AM, "bj" <bjones44@verizon.net> wrote:

 

I have had to take my 4th gen Touch to the Apple Store after an iOS update
attempt farkled it -- *twice*.
I was able to update all 3 of my devices to whatever the update was last
fall -- but it took several days & several tries for each one to d/l.
I think Apple's update doesn't like something about my computer -- even if I
disable anti-virus.

I'm not about to try all that with an "interim" update when things are
working fine -- & if someone wants to track my movement history they lead an
even duller life than I do. :-)

On my most recent farkle-resuscitation visit, I told the Genius I'd wait on
the others until (a while after) iOS 5 comes out, then back them all up &
bring in all at once for a mass updating session. He didn't say *don't* &
understood my problem. I'm not hanging breathlessly for anything that I've
heard coming, though I'm sure it'll prove useful in time.

Meanwhile, I can't get my Apple TV to work with my computer -- it just
*will not* load my library. But it does connect to the router & get on the
internet for YouTube -- I wasn't about to try anything that Cost Money --
when I tried the iTunes Store & picked "purchased" it asked for my billing
security code; sorry, already got that show, not interested in paying again
just to see how the online streaming works. (I wonder if I can get it to
stream Amazon; I have some free-streaming-options there....)
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: April Duritza
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 5:06 PM
To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [iPad] Can you successfully own an iPad w/o a computer?

I like the idea that some people have mentioned that you could go to an
Apple store to have the iOS upgraded when the time comes. (Although I
haven't tried this myself.) You can definitely buy apps without a computer,
no problem. However. The main problem that I see with that is that you
wouldn't have backups of your data. Photos, calendars, notes, bookmarks,
etc., etc. And even at the App store, I'm not sure you want to do an update
without having a backup. In my experience, updating the iOS is a slightly
vulnerable time, even when you are upgrading to a final release of an iOS.
Stuff can go wrong.

As has been mentioned, there will be an update "this fall" that will allow
you to do all of that backup/upgrade stuff without needing a computer. I
have a developer's account, so I am beta testing the new iOS, and just last
week I did my first iOS update using only my iPad. I have also been able to
use iCloud to backup my data without the computer. There are still a few
little glitches here and there, so I don't think they are quite ready with
it, but getting close!

I would plan to either (patiently! lol) wait until the new iOS is released
before buying one, or I would verify for sure that you could take it to the
Apple store to get the upgrade done when the new iOS is released. And then
hope that you don't need backups until then. Or else do the backups/upgrades
on your computer.

Once iOS 5 is released, I really think the iPad will function as an
extremely slick, stand-alone unit. It will be SO much more user friendly
that I think it might be worth the wait.

April

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___