[iPad] Re: Apple Releases iOS 8.1.3 With Bug Fixes, Storage Size Reduction - Mac Rumors

 

    Actually I didn't insist on anything. I was simply asking for information about the consequences of upgrading 7.x to 8.x in one way or the other, to which I never received a reply. It's pretty much been rendered moot now, as I was able to upgrade my iPad to 8.1.3 from 7.x after learning a good bit about iTunes during my attempt to use it for the upgrade. The OTA upgrade required about 1 GB more iPad space to be freed before use. Examining Usage, I couldn't find an easy way to delete that much space so I went to iTunes. Unlike what I had read about it, iTunes also asked for >700 MB to be removed before use. Since both now required significant deletions, I went back and discovered an app with 3 GB of data I could delete without a problem. My ISP was having a terrible night for no apparent reason, and both OTA and iTunes upgrades were predicting 6-8 hour download/install times, so for convenience I did it OTA. It wound up taking only about 4-5 hours and fortunately succeeded in one attempt with no interruptions. After that I updated my 5s from 8.1.1-->8.1.3 OTA which only took about 30 minutes. 

Dick

Sent from my  iPad 4
------------------------------------------------
Richard E Johnson, ScM, MD, DABA

     On Jan 27, 2015, at 10:53 PM, Brent whodo678@yahoo.com [apple-iphone] <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Richard,

Don't upgrade OTA, over the air, connect to your computer and upgrade through iTunes and you may not have to make room for the upgrades. We tried to tell you that before, but for some reason you insist on doing it OTA.

Brent

     On Jan 27, 2015, at 1:13 PM, 'Richard E Johnson, MD' RECMSOJ@OnlineOK.com [apple-iphone] wrote:

      I have a question about the size requirements needed to download 8.x wirelessly. My iPhone 5S says I can update 8.1.1-->8.1.3 without any deletions beforehand. I understand there is/was a difference between just updating 8.x versus upgrading from a 7.x version to an 8.x version.

My iPad 4 now says it needs 2 GB more space to upgrade 7.1.1-->8.1.3. Now that's an improvement, as earlier versions of 8.1.x needed >5 GB more space. Question is, if done OTA, is that 2 GB (or >5 GB earlier) of extra space I would clear out lost after installing 8.x, or is it just somehow used in the upgrade but still available after the download and installation? 
Thanks,
Dick

Sent from my  iPad 4
------------------------------------------------
Richard E Johnson, ScM, MD, DABA

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Richard E Johnson, MD" <recmsoj@onlineok.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___