Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 

I agree. iOS mail app, if you choose a preset such as Yahoo, as I do, isn't what I term an email client or using IMAP. To me, it is mirroring the server, but excluding new emails in folders unless you check that folder, and excluding attachments unless you specifically download the attachment manually. I guess I could term it a lite client as it is installed, and uses lite IMAP behaviors, which is what it should do on advice that potentially has low storage. 

It doesnt include as far as I can see the options Chris mentions, it does allow you to limit the sync, again a good option for a low storage device


From: Christopher Collins <iphone@analogdigital.com.au>
To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 
Within the IMAP settings, you can dictate whether your email client downloads only your headers, your messages or your messages and attachments. 

The choice is entirely yours.

If you have only headers set to download, when you go into a mail folder/account, it will then connect to the mail server and update that folder/account.

cjc

On 30 Jan 2014, at 3:05 pm, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:


I kinow how it works Pete. You said or implied, and I may be wrong, that all emails and all atttachments are on the device. They arent unless you download and open all attachments. If this was POP for example, all emails and all attachments will all be there by default and with no extra individual actions, which was the impression your response gave



From: Pete <petefromflorida@gmail.com>
To: "iPad@yahoogroups.com" <iPad@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 
That's because you never downloaded the attachment.  Just play around with it, you'll figure it out sooner or later.
Pete





On Jan 29, 2014, at 10:50 PM, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

 
Thats right, you can set sync periods, but where is my attachment on the email that arrived today? Its not there. If I was offline I can read the email, I cannot read the attachment



From: Pete <petefromflorida@gmail.com>
To: "iPad@yahoogroups.com" <iPad@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 
Check your mail settings and read the User Guide.  You get to choose how much mail you retain on your iOS device.  On my iPad I have chosen to retain only the last 200 emails per folder.
Pete




On Jan 29, 2014, at 10:27 PM, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

 
I have 7991 emails and in iOS it takes up 55Mb, how can that be? Ive probably recieved  55MB of photos and attachments in the last month

How can that be?



From: Pete <petefromflorida@gmail.com>
To: "iPad@yahoogroups.com" <iPad@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 
I know that because I can read my mail when I'm not connected to the Internet.
Pete





On Jan 29, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

 
Physically? How do you know that ?

Anyone else confirm this ?

Sent from my iPhone 5S 


On 30/01/2014, at 3:47 pm, Pete <petefromflorida@gmail.com> wrote:

 
Well, my emails and attachments are stored on my iPad.
Pete




On Jan 29, 2014, at 9:38 PM, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

 
That isnt a client in the normal sense of the word. My emails, and any attachments on them are not stored on my iOS devices AFAIK

So they act as webmail, reading and working from, in my case, the Yahoo servers where my email is stored.



From: Pete <petefromflorida@gmail..com>
To: "iPad@yahoogroups.com" <iPad@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 
Does that mean you don't use the built in email client that is part of iOS?  I think it's one on of its features.
Pete




On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:59 PM, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

 
I hate email clients, all of them!  


From: david smith <david.smith.14916@gmail.com>
To: "iPad@yahoogroups.com" <iPad@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2014 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [iPad] How email has changed with smart devices

 

I hate Outlook :0)


On Jan 29, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Pete <petefromflorida@gmail.com> wrote:

 
Many years ago I used Outlook but my computer crashed and I lost all my mail which is one reason why I switched to webmail.  Another reason is I switched my ISP provider so in that case I even lost my email address.  Two lessons learned the hard way.
Pete <---- slow learner





On Jan 29, 2014, at 5:57 AM, David Smith <david.smith.14916@gmail.com> wrote:

 

I, too, dislike webmail. Eudora is nearly perfect, but it's become unfashionable, and there's no longer a deep-pocketed developer.

- ipdt5

On Jan 28, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:

>> Yes I assume so, Apple webmail so to speak?
>> 
>> So Apple Mail on OSX is just a client where you can accesssyour Yahoo, Gmail, ISP, iCloud email? Outlook being the PC equivalent?
> 
> My image of "webmail" is using a browser to go to your email provider's website, log in, and read the mail there. Pretty much *my* least favorite method to read mail.
> 
> Apple's Mail is a client that runs on the Mac (or the iOS device), goes to various sites to fetch your email from various servers, and present it all in an organized and convenient fashion.
> 
> The dictionary built-in to MacOS 10.9 says:
>> webmail 
>> e-mail that is available for use online and stored in the Internet server mailbox, and that is not downloaded to an e-mail program or used offline.
> 
> -- 
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (69)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___