On 12/16/2013 11:05 PM, Tony wrote:
>
>
> I am 55 Denise and I embrace the technology BUT I am torn between the
> age of the book and modern tech. I probably want the tech but respect
> the hard cover book.
> I grew up with books read encyclopedias and in many ways google is too
> easy!!
>
My problem is that I grew up developing a love of books, too. So much
that I want my entire library with me all the time because I never know
what I'll want to read next, or if I'll want to review some book such as
Will and Ariel Durant Story of Civilization or some tech manual or book
about music, etc.
So while I love printed books, I love my current technology which allows
me to carry a huge library in a single hand in a device which weighs
less than many of the paper books I wish to be able to read.
I do 95% of my reading on electronic devices. With my performing
musician's hat on, I use my iPad about 50% of the time, preferring
printed music most of the time but unable to carry it with me when I go
away for the weekend or on vacation.
Just this past Sunday I played piccolo trumpet in a performance of the
Vivaldi Gloria. I had my paper sheet music (created by me using my
computer, to convert the original trumpet part to the piccolo part for
easier playing) on the stand and right beside it I had my iPad with the
vocal score so that I could better know where we were and when I would
have to play again. The oboist who sat beside me also followed the
choral score for the same reason (trumpet and oboe only play in a few of
the movements). So it was a perfect blending of technology and paper
while playing an almost 300 year old piece of music which remains fresh
and wonderful.
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey@davidbaileymusicstudio.com
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com
| Reply via web post | Reply to sender | Reply to group | Start a New Topic | Messages in this topic (3) |