iPad and music [was: Re: [iPad] Celeste]

On 12/17/2013 5:42 PM, Julia Mavity-Hudson wrote:
>
>
> I have been reluctant to move completely to iPad music for performance
> of classical music, but your solution sounds like a great idea. I do use
> it exclusively for keeping playlists when I play Irish music (Irish
> flute and whistle), to remind me of how each tune starts because I have
> a really hard time remembering how one tune starts when I am playing
> another. I would say it's because I am old, but I have always been that
> way. I can't remember how the tune goes or what key it's in, and if I
> hear a tune I can't remember the name, but once I hear or see a bar or 2
> I can play from memory no problem. The iPad is great for this, I can set
> up my play lists with forScore and use a foot pedal to change the page
> to the next tune in a set, then when it's time to switch tunes I glance
> down and play from the music for a couple of bars and then I'm off. This
> is great for dances. My husband (a fiddler) on the other hand can not
> only remember how a tune goes, he can hear a tune and tell you the name,
> so I find myself calling him on the phone and humming a tune to get the
> name sometimes when he is not with me.
> Julie
>
[snip]

I have friends like your husband -- they can name and/or play any tune
they've heard once. I can't do that -- I need the printed music for
most things that I have to play.

Regarding it's use in classical music, the screen is fine for my eyes.
The only reason that I don't use it most of the time is that the screen
has glare when used in bright lights or outdoors, and since the groups I
perform with play often in either situation, I use paper more of the
time for actual performance. But classical or non-classical, I find an
invaluable musical tool.

The tuners available are fantastic, and as a teacher of all
woodwind/brass/percussion instruments, I find the app "Fingerings" a
wonderful aid since it's got the basic fingerings plus lots of
alternates for all the notes on all the woodwind/brass instruments. So
when I find I can't remember something, it's so easy to look it up.

One great aspect of ForScore as a music-reading app (it's the one I use
all the time) is that we can rearrange the pages, duplicating pages in
different places, so that we never have to go back for repeats, we can
simply duplicate the necessary pages, and ForScore does all the jumping
for us as we keep paging forward through a piece.

I have found that ForScore is the single iPad app that I use most of the
time, and I am always amazed at how wonderful it is for such a small price!



--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey@davidbaileymusicstudio.com
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iPad/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iPad/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
iPad-digest@yahoogroups.com
iPad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
iPad-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/