Re: [iPad] AW - radiation

 

Speaking as someone who has actually ingested a radioactive substance (more
than once) & emitted those invisible gamma rays for a while (& carried a
letter to say why, in case I set off alarms!) -- I'm not going to worry
about minor stuff like a device I won't even be wearing all the time!

I'm getting a Pebble, anyway. I may also get an AW. Not that I need either,
I'm just in a playful mood. I haven't decided on new-phone-or-not; I'll make
a trip to the Apple Store in a few weeks & look at them before deciding.
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Saklad jimdoc@icloud.com [iPad]
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:13 PM
To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [iPad] AW - radiation

I wonder whether the Watch, which, unlike the Phone, will be in prolonged
contact with the body, will start to raise radiation worries.

Of course it will.

The great majority of the population has minimal understanding of radiation
physics.

I've never been worried but anyone got any radiation science facts to share
that would help the understanding? Or links?
KLM
====================================

Breaking chemical bonds in DNA, or denaturing protein, requires photons
above a certain threshold of energy. The bottom end of that range is in the
ultraviolet (hence the warnings about too much UV exposure and later
development of skin cancer). More concerning, of course, would be
x-rays/gamma rays.

Our phones use microwaves, in the millimeter wavelength range. These photons
lack sufficient energy to damage DNA by a factor of over 1000.

To say nothing of the fact that they are emitted at milliwatt power levels.

Your KILOWATT microwave oven emits similar radiation (confining it to within
its cavity) to cook food, at 10,000 times the power level of your cellphone.
And it does this (cook) strictly by *heating water*.

If you stand still in a military radar beam it will kill you.
It won't cause cancer, though, it will simply cook your tissues as you stand
there.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "bj" <bjones44@verizon.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)

.

__,_._,___