> As a private music teacher I am constantly amazed at what my students remember and what they don't remember. For some students I will explain some new concept, have them play an exercise with that concept in it and then by the next piece they don't remember what I just taught them (and
> that they demonstrated that they understood) a few minutes earlier. For other students I use the same explanation and then never have to explain it again because they retain what they are taught better.
Students are each different from one another, and will not learn the same if all taught the same.
As a private teacher you need to adjust your teaching to each different student's needs, and it should be MUCH easier to do than someone who has to get concepts across to a large class.
> If someone had walked past my studio door before she finally remembered, it would have been easy to assume that I hadn't taught her what staccato was, which was not true. That she didn't remember at that instant is her fault, not mine.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. There is insufficient data in this message to decide.
> History and geography are boring subjects for most people and have no practical use for most people in high school, so they don't work to retain what they're taught, thus they answer incorrectly or not at all when given the kinds of tests or questionnaires that are cited in the sort of articles you are referring to.
Because they are not well taught.
Or do you think *geography* requires some special aptitude?
> But that doesn't mean they weren't taught.
But it might mean they weren't taught WELL.
| Reply via web post | Reply to sender | Reply to group | Start a New Topic | Messages in this topic (17) |