> In my own case, I know that I'm not such a good auditory learner. So when I go to another teacher for coaching, I record the lesson and listen to the recording again and write things into my score. It's that second opportunity to hear plus the kinesthetic sensation of writing that makes the information "stick". I'm always astounded at how much I've forgotten between the lesson and the time that I listen to the recording, even if it's only an hour or so. Part of this is due to stress - the stress of trying to incorporate the new ideas and perform in front of the teacher. But I didn't figure this out when I was 12 years old. It's a gradual process, figuring out how learning occurs. Students are much more self aware now than I was, but they are young and lack experience...
I have seen videos of a Pablo Casals Master Class, in which he may be teaching concert soloists how to be even better -- in other words, students who already know a lot.
He explains what he wants them to do, and perhaps demonstrates it, then they *immediately* practice it, in the presence of the master. And get *immediate* correction, as needed.
| Reply via web post | Reply to sender | Reply to group | Start a New Topic | Messages in this topic (19) |