Re: [iPad] Here's what I'd like to see in the next gen I phone!

 

Amen to what David said.


That is why I suggested a micro-payment rather than straight Ala Carte model.

Why someone who watches 16 hours a day should pay the same as someone who watches 16 hours a week makes no sense.

For that matter hiDef costs a lot more to push through the wire. Before I got my hiDef TV my Mom was watching 10 hours a day of Standard not HiDef. Why should she pay what HD users are?

For that matter my Mom leaves the TV on when sleeping and I wish it cost her so she would not or she would use a 'sleep timer' technology or just use a Music Channel if she wants sound.

Micropayments have the advantage of forcing people to think before they watch. 300 channels of FREE TV (i.e. 300 channels cost what 3 do) and forced the network to do insane things on off hours. It would have added bonus of letting people vote with micropayments what they care about i.e. cnn/msnbc/kardashians/sports on a show by show basis and then the TV providers could consider fairer pricing i.e. 50 cents for Kardashians and $3 for NFL game and $2 for NASCAR etc.  75 cents for nightly news, etc.

People could then buy packages of N hours or n credits and addicts would pay addict's rates and minimalists would pay minimalist rates but it would vary from day to day or month to month like our power bills or water bills.

Under such systems 'spending caps' can protect people and 'all you can eat' could be done for addicts but 'all you can eat' would still be monitored via Micropayments for rating purposes to know what they were actively watching on their plan and replace Nielsen style ratings. Ratings could be anoynmous, but based on micropayment tallying. 

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@comcast.net> wrote:
 

On 5/30/2012 2:41 PM, Just Murray wrote:
>
>
> why would you not want *only* the shows you want top watching? why would
> you wanted "heavy metal tv" or "Keeping up with the kardashians"if you
> werent going to watch it?

While I don't watch heavy metal tv or the Kardashians, I do know that I
have discovered quite a few tv series over the years simply by
channel-surfing and serendipitously landing on something that caught my
fancy.

That's hard to do if I've only ordered those things that I already know
I like -- how would I discover new unknown things?

I'm sure there's room in the new frontier of cable-tv for people who
want to buy only the channels they already know they like and those who
want a package so they can discover new things.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___