Re: [iPad] iOS9 Public Beta

 

Thanks Jim

I have a USB 3 external I can use, although that will then become a fresh install I assume. Not much point in that though. I have a CCC backup if I had to go back, does that come with any caveats re restoring from a beta?

As regards the iPhone, a 6 plus, that can easily be restored back, either by DFU or restoring to the ipsw file. 

OTOH is it really worth it for both? Probably not given they are probably out in Sept


From: "Jim Saklad jimdoc@icloud.com [iPad]" <iPad@yahoogroups.com>
To: iPad@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, 19 July 2015 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: [iPad] iOS9 Public Beta

 
> For this beta, and for that matter, El Capitan public beta, if I choose to take that plunge, will my rMBP and iPhone be identical to one that upgraded to the final once they are released? I'm talking of leftover beta crud taking up space or potentially being in the way leading to issues.

Apple's recommendations for all their betas, is NEVER PUT IT ON A DRIVE OR PARTITION THAT YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE.

For MacOS, you can put it on a spare external drive, or you can back up your main drive/partition, add a partition to the drive (if needed), and put it on the same drive.

I would NOT install the beta on top of your working main boot volume.

Often the last beta released before the Official Release of the new os *is* the "Golden Master" — the version that they think will be the final. But even if I'm running that without problems (on that other partition), I still will download and install the Official Release.

In the case of iOS 9, I wouldn't (and didn't) put it on my primary iDevice. I have a spare, previous generation, iPhone that was not at present being used, so I put it on that.

The advice about backups applies equally as much to iOS — I do my regular iCloud backup, and a backup through iTunes on the Mac as well.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com



__._,_.___

Posted by: Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

.

__,_._,___