[iPad] Fwd: [OSXList] iTunes 10 import from CD - NOT!

 

I am forwarding this from another group as I noticed the same issue was being brought up here.

ken

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Chris Sansom <chris@highway57.co.uk>
> Date: September 6, 2010 5:39:18 AM CDT
> To: osxlist-discussion-list@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [OSXList] iTunes 10 import from CD - NOT!
> Reply-To: osxlist-discussion-list@googlegroups.com
>
> At 22:55 +0100 5/9/10, Chris Sansom wrote:
>> Having looked at the end of the thread, I found a reference to a post on page 5:
>> <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2565869&start=60&tstart=0>
>> which evidently has a fix via tinkering with the plist file. Asd I'm on my way to bed I'll try this in the morning and see if it works. I'll report back!
>
> OK, done that... and it worked! It seems that installing iTunes 10 can hose the preferences file in such a way that the Gracenote line is lost (that's the Internet database where iTunes looks up the track info).
>
> I confirmed this by looking at com.apple.iTunes.plist on my two machines: the one that was OK had the relevant line, the other didn't.
>
> So if anyone wants a fix for this, you'll need to open com.apple.iTunes.plist in Property List Editor (part of the Xcode installation) and look for a line with this key (left-hand column):
>
> gnot:1:Gracenote User ID
>
> If that's not there, you need to add it, so with 'Root' highlighted at the top, click the 'Add Child' button and type 'gnot:1:Gracenote User ID' where it says 'New item', then select Data from the Type options in the middle column. As for what you put in the data, I'm not sure how much that matters (providing the format is correct, I assume), and someone in the Apple Discussion appears to have got away with entering someone else's data for this. I copied the data from the iMac and entered it on the Mini, and that worked, so if anyone wants to try it, here's the Data field from my prefs file:
>
> <57456378 41317a51 4c54524d 51384161 572b4a43 7a745658 70675a51 594c4c59 41313177 7641546f 784e5732 4862396a 49474156 5158614d 46692f6d 326f7369 52596a63 62515546 78315858 6a725a76 58315356 4a584949 346c3339 6a686241 55383559 39644a38 6c4a6d6b 6931556b 66544c78 44345358 6953786d 7a764236 4e61797a 4743726c 5943754d 46673539 34673d3d 00>
>
> If you're wary of doing that, I guess you'll just have to wait for the fix, which I imagine can't be too far away now.
>
> BTW, does anyone have any idea exactly what that data represents, by any remote chance?
>
> --
> Cheers... Chris
> Highway 57 Web Development -- <http://highway57.co.uk/>
> 27" iMac/2.8GHz Core i7 - 16 GB RAM, 2TB HD - Magic Mouse - Mac OS X 10.6.4
>
> --
> This list is sponsored by ListMom Janice Kempf and Clear Link: http://www.aclearlink.com. Contact jkempf@aclearlink.com
>
> Your support is greatly appreciated.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___