Re: [iPad] Finally made the move to OSX! iTunes Transfer

 

Here is an Apple Support article about moving data to your new Mac:  http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2518.  I've used Migration Assistant numerous times with excellent results, but I've always moved data between Macs.  You can choose what data to transfer during the process.  You could call Apple Support to answer many of your questions if some of our members don't chime in with answers.  The support people are willing to spend as much time as necessary to get you up & running!


My most recent transfer was for a family member moving from a Macbook Air to an iMac.  His iTunes library was about the same size as yours, his iPhoto library a few GB plus a small amount of other data.  I did the transfer wirelessly (my internet speed is usually about 55Mbps) from a Time Capsule backup & it took a couple of hours.  I've also connected two computers via ethernet with good results.

On Feb 15, 2014, at 4:37 PM, Tony <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:


I have been reading over how to move iTunes from my Win7 laptop to the soon to arrive rMBP
Not keen on Migration Assistant as some say it doesn't always work as intended, plus it will have to be wifi which will take an age as my iTunes folder is 37GB. 

1. Is the folder structure the same in Windows iTunes and Mavericks iTunes?  If so, I could copy it over on an external drive, start iTunes, add my Apple ID, set the tabs to the same sync settings, possibly tell Mavericks iTunes where the library is (Its in default ,location), and run a sync which will theoretically behave as the Windows iTunes does without losing anything, and it will add the first backup onto OSX?

2. Can I, at any later time after first running my soon to arrive rMBP, run Migration Assistant to grab other files/settings that I can individually choose?

3. Hopefully if I do something wrong and my iPhone/iPad lose some data due to me making a mistake setting OSX iTunes, I won't actually lose anything such as content, Notes, Contacts, etc?  
Contacts in iOS are enabled for iCloud, so I guess that will take care of itself.
Notes aren't, in Notes iOS settings, its set to default account of Yahoo, and not On My Phone and On My iPad. What has Yahoo go to do with Notes? Or should I setup a new, free iCloud.com email address for this purpose? Oddly I have about 13 notes, all are the same on the iPhone/iPad, except two are not on the iPad
4. iCloud Backup. As i have a 37GB iTunes Library, if I turned on iCloud Backup on my iPhone/iPad, what is included in the description
Camera Roll (I know this one), Accounts, Documents, Settings.   
My chief need to know is if I mess anything up in the new iTunes, and the first sync to my iphone/iPad, I can just fix it and resync without losing anything?

Tks all

Tony NZ






__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (23)
.

__,_._,___