Re: [iPad] Apple TV

 

I have an Apple TV and a Roku box. I hadn't had cable TV for over a year: Internet only. I pay for Hulu Plus and Netflix instead. 

I like this combo versus having two ATVs or two Roku.

Each person's needs are different. My  boxes obviously has to support Hulu Plus and Netflix; which both do. Hulu Plus works well on both. So does Netflix, but I have an older Roku that doesn't support the new Netflix profile feature that allow all of us to have our own area so that I am not getting recommendations that are really for my kids or wife. 

Next to these, I have a huge library of videos and movies on my Mac. Viewing this content is almost more important. The Roku has an app called Plex that allows this to be done easily. My Apple TV does not have this without being Jailbroken. 

I originally purchased the Apple TV because I could Airplay to it, but because it is Jailbroken I don't need to as much.  I Jailbroke the Apple TV2 with the SeasonPass app and bought a third party app call ATV Flash Black that allow me to view my own content, surf the web and view XBMC. 

I use XBMC on the Jailbroken Apple TV2 which gives me tons of content that I otherwise would not have.  The new Apple TVs cannot be Jailbroken so you would have access to these features or content. 

XBMC can be played on a PC or Mac and streamed to a TV via HDMI. Now that I think about it, new Mac OS Mavericks can Airplay to the Apple TV, so I may be able to stream XBMC from the Mac to the Apple TV. I may try this tonight. XBMC is not for the faint at heart, but I use the XBMChub installer to get the content I need. 

Airplay works good for some games, but only those that don't require you to look at the iOS device to play them. This would be like driving games, though it can get laggy at times so it is not that usable. 

I am happy with the Apple TV, but more happy with it because it is Jailbroken. 

When I move, I may need a 3rd box and I like the initial reviews of the Satechi Smart TV Box because XBMC is pretty important to my viewing habits now. 

So I want a box that does Hulu Plus,  Netflix and XBMC out the box. Neither Roku or Apple TV does this.



On Feb 25, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Tony <nyrngrz@yahoo.com> wrote:

So it looks like the only way to stream from my iOS devices onto my TV is by having Apple TV. Those of you who have Apple TV, please give me your opinion.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (50)
.

__,_._,___