Re: [iPad] 12.9 or 10.5

 

In short:
If I could have only one, I'd have my 10.5".

In long:

For an advice to others, I'd say: it depends on your use of the device.
I bought my 10.5" Pro (with the optional Smart Keyboard) as my home work horse, my (all but) desktop replacement. Great.
I bought the first 12.9" Pro (with an Apple Pencil and a Logitech Creative keyboard) as a graphics powerhouse. I just recently found good use for it. That Creative keyboard is great, but (in my opinion) it turns a great tablet into a mediocre notebook. I now use it with a cover that can act as a 360° stand. I may use portrait orientation more than landscape, and I consider quickly switching a key feature of a tablet.
I'm still fond of my light Air 2. It's the traveling one.
I also have an iPad 4 (dedicated to making music, but I don't find the time for that) and an iPad 2 (based in the kitchen).
All five feature cellular capability, and therefore GPS. The 10.5" and Air 2 actually have SIM cards inserted.

A factor that may make me buy another iPad (probably another 12.9" Pro with LTE) is my recent involvement in boating. I fondly remember the short trip with a motor yacht when we had left our printed charts aboard the sailing yacht, and I was glad to have a navigation app with charts installed on my Air 2 (with GPS).

No problem on that motor boat, but I have become obsessed with battery life when navigation is concerned. (I use Google Maps for navigating directions on my bicycle.) GPS seems to draw a lot of power. To the extent of me deciding to stop using Android devices alongside my iOS ones when navigation is involved. (I tracked a cycling trip using Road Bike Pro on both my iPhone 6 and its counterpart Galaxy S6, the latter limited to that, the former not.. Yet the battery drain of the Galaxy was hopelessly greater.)

Another note on navigation: GPS is omnipresent, but mobile networks (let alone wifi) aren't. So do load your appropriate off-line maps before you set off. Which implies: make sure that your device has the GBs of storage available.

By the way, I occasionally use screen mirroring (like AirPlay) to project the screen of my small device onto a large screen. I recently bought a Full HD projector and a 2.5 * 1.5 m screen. I could show contents from my NAS at home using my iPhone 6. Even wirelessly, as my projector has a wifi option installed.

So do list your intended uses for your one device, along with the features needed, before you settle.

--
Chris
in the Netherlands

reacting to:

On 24 Dec 2017, 08:25 +0100, Gretchen Hunter gretchenhunter@mac.com [iPad] <iPad@yahoogroups.com>, wrote:
 

For those who have used a 12.9 and a 10.5 iPad Pro, which do you prefer if you could only have one? I know some people have multiple iPad Pros.

Thanks.

Gretchen
Sent from my  iPad Mini 4

__._,_.___

Posted by: Chris Laarman <chrislaarman@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___